Have you ever thought of toning your hair? There are recipes that can be used to perform this. They can be with or without food color.
You can still tone your hair if you have bleached or even blonde hair. Here is how to go about this. Outlined also are some reviews of those who have been able to tone their hair successfully at home.
What is a hair toner?
A hair toner is a preparation that is used when you want to remove orange or yellow tones from your hair. Tones are most used when you want to color your hair gray, blonde, blue or platinum. Home remedies are most preferred because they are able to get rid of orange tones in your hair. Apart from that, they are preferred because they are easy to make and use.
Recipes you can try at home
There are various ways in which you can make the hair toners at home. The recipes below give you an account of how you could go ahead and make a do it yourself toner (DIY) at the comfort of your home with the locally available resources.
Baking soda shampoo
When used, it works as a clarifying agent during the treatment of hair. It is combined with food color so as to remove any buildup of minerals and chemical products as you neutralize the natural warm tones in your hair.
You will need
- Shampoo free of any sulfate
- About two drops of blue food color
- About two drops of purple food color
- A teaspoon of baking soda
- Put all the ingredients above in a container then mix them with some water, leave them for a while of about 15 minutes
- Rinse your hair in readiness
- Wash your hair after you have rinsed it using the mixture
- Give the mixture about 10 minutes to interact with your hair
- Finalize the process using a conditioner and then repeat the same process once a week
Apple cider vinegar
It has very high levels of acid and this makes it an ideal toner as it removes the orange or yellow tones from your hair. Further, it acts as a cleanser thus removing any buildup of products in your hair.
- Two tablespoons of water
- 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Take the water and dilute the apple cider vinegar in a jug
- Wash your hair using the mixture and then give it about 15 minutes
- Rinse your hair with some lukewarm water
- Repeat the process three times a month
This fruit has acid and some vitamin C which are very integral in helping out in bleaching. When you use it, you are likely to make your hair a bit lighter.
- 1/4 a cup of lemon juice out of the lemon
- A cup of water
- Two tablespoons of honey
- A spray bottle
- Combine the ingredients in a spray bottle and then mix them very well
- Apply the honey and lemon mixture onto your hair but be cautious not to saturate your scalp with the mixture
- Give it two hours to create an effect and spend the time on the sun
- Rinse your head with a shampoo that is free of any sulfate
- Repeat the process about three times in a month
It has very great toning abilities that can help you remove the unwanted tones from your hair
Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- A cup of water
- Two tablespoons of hollyhock herb
- Heat the ingredients to boiling and then give them some time to cool
- Apply the mixture on your hair once it has cooled
- Give it about 10 minutes then gently rinse it off your head using a sulfate free shampoo
They are used commonly because they are on the opposite end of the color spectrum and therefore can help to neutralize the warm tones. When you use the purple dye, your hair follicles will absorb some small amount of the purple pigment.
- A tablespoon of the purple dye
- About three tablespoons of a conditioner
- Get the ingredients into a container and then mix them til you have a lavender mixture
- Apply the mixture to the parts of your hair that you want toned
- Give it about 30 minutes then rinse your hair with a shampoo free of sulfate
- Repeat the process every time your hair has a yellow tone
In this case, the toner does not entail any food color and therefore avoids the use of any chemicals that will end up destroying your hair. You will require some apple cider vinegar, water and some hollyhock herbs. The procedure is as follows:
- Boil some water and then add apple cider vinegar mixed with the hollyhock herbs
- Cover the contents in a container and let the mixture concentrate
- Give it about 40 minutes and this will make the mixture it has a thick consistency
- After that, shampoo your hair and then apply the mixture on your hair
- Massage the mixture all over your hair for some time
- Give the applied mixture on your hair for about 10 minutes and after that wash using some cool water
DIY hair toner for brown hair
For the case of naturally brown hair or brown dyed hair, food color toner are the ideal ones that you can use to get the best results. All you have to do is follow the procedure below:
- Take about three drops of green food color and add to your preferred conditioner. Alternatively, you can take about two drops of green food color and mix with one blue food color
- Depending on what you choose in procedure one, shampoo your hair
- After shampooing your hair very well, get the mixture and apply to your hair then leave it for about ten minutes
- Finally, wash your hair with some cool water
Toner for brassy hair
In this case, you will need to have an ideal brand of blue and purple food coloring and some water. The procedure is as follows:
- Take some water and then add some purple food color then stir up
- Add some blue food color and then mix them very well
- After the mixture turns dark blue, add an adequate amount of hair conditioner to the mixture above
- Add more water and mix well
- Apply the mixture on your hair and leave it for about 40 minutes after which you should wash it with cool water
Toning blonde hair
Toning your blonde hair is always the last step that you can undertake in order to make your hair bright. In case you are using an oxidative toner, then you should mix it with some peroxide to help you get the intended result at the end of it all. There are cheap and readily available remedies that you can use to help you out. They are as follows:
Ash blonde box dye
The dye is useful because it removes any yellow or orange tones. They neutralize any warm tones with cool tones. For you to use this, you will need gloves, ash blonde box dye, a plastic mixing bowl and an applicator brush. You will need 30 minutes to completely prepare this recipe. The procedure is as follows:
- Get the dye and mix it in a plastic bowl
- Apply the dye on your hair and then give it about 30 minutes to take effect
- After that, wash the hair with a shampoo that is free of any sulfate
- Carry out this procedure once in a while.
What people think
According to the hair and flair blog, there are reviews that point out that blonde hair is difficult to handle. It is pointed out that when going blonde, there is need to use bleach. The only disadvantage is that the bleach makes the hair lighter and this can leave your hair very brassy.
When your hair is turned orange, you might want use products that are bluer base than purple. Purple is useful, but the blue dye would give you the best results. Therefore, you should look for a bluer shampoo or hair toner for the best results.